Wednesday, November 4, 2020

My view of the Python Steering Council

Python 3.9 has been released, which means it's time to elect a new Python Steering Council. I want to give potential candidates an idea of what to expect -- similar to what Brett Cannon posted last year, but with my own point of view. I also want to highlight what we did and what I would like the next SC to do.


I joined the Steering Council in January 2020. It's only the second year we have a Steering Council, so we are still in the process of figuring out expectations, standards and practices. The first SC provided a good base for this, and the fact that three members of the first SC were re-elected helped with continuity. For those who don't know, I'm not a stranger to this kind of thing: I've been a Python core developer since somewhere in 2000, a founding member of the Python Software Foundation, and a member of the PSF Board of Directors for a number of years (2001-2004, 2017-2019, 2020-onward). That said, the Steering Council is distinctly different from those roles.


Besides me, the 2020 SC consists of Barry Warsaw, Brett Cannon, Carol Willing and Victor Stinner. Like the first SC, this SC decided to meet (via video chat) for an hour every week, and have Ewa Jodlowska (PSF's Executive Director) attend to take notes and facilitate the co-operation with the PSF. Because of the frequency of the meetings, most discussion took place there rather than in email. We also used collaboration tools (primarily Google Docs) to draft emails, announcements and responses, so that we could provide and process feedback asynchronously.


This year's SC neglected to keep the community as up-to-date as was done previously, which I regret. There were a number of causes for that: we had some long, difficult discussions without a reportable result (like the long-term vision we've been working on). COVID-19 ruined or complicated our ideas for presenting our plans and discussing them with the community. We also discussed two serious Code of Conduct issues, which are hard to report on, emotionally and practically. Even so, I wish we had done a better job of keeping the community appraised. We've done so retroactively now, but we should have done this every quarter, like the last SC, or preferably even every month. That is something I would like the next SC to take more seriously.


Despite that regret, I am proud of what the SC has achieved in the last year, and stand behind all of our decisions.


  • We've had in-depth discussions about various PEPs and accepted a number of them. We kept an eye on open PEPs and their progress, asking PEP authors and sponsors for updates periodically. We've continued the approach of designating PEP delegates for PEPs requiring domain-specific knowledge, and keeping PEPs for our own pronouncement when they're trivial and obvious, or when they're contentious and difficult decisions. The biggest and most controversial change on our plate is the Structural Pattern Matching proposal (originally PEP 622, now PEPs 634, 635 and 636, and relatedly 640 and 642), and we've discussed this at length, both between ourselves and with the PEP authors. We haven't made our decision on that proposal yet. We did decide that considering its nature, this is not something we can hand off to a PEP delegate. We also decided that at this point, so close to the next SC elections, we can't in good conscience make the final decision on this. After all, the next SC will be in charge of the next Python release, and there are still five months before the deadline for 3.10. We will make our decision, but leave it as a recommendation for the next SC.
  • We also continued plans to actually spend money on core development (and solicit donations or sponsorship for it) by hiring core developers to focus on the less-desirable work. We surveyed the core developers about this plan back in January (https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-committers@python.org/thread/XJ373N2H5O2OXMEQEEGYIIZ3U7RNHVHJ). The plans to find funding for this were stymied by COVID-19, but we still want to continue that idea, and we're hoping to draw in more sponsorship in the coming years. (The PSF plays a big role in that as well, but I keep my SC role and my PSF Director role separated. It hasn't been necessary much, but I very much try to avoid conflict of interest situations.)
  • We've dealt with two major Code of Conduct incidents, where the PSF's Code of Conduct WG recommended certain actions. One of these incidents I was personally involved with and so the WG recommended (and I concurred) that I recuse myself from discussions of its recommendations. Even so, I'm glad the SC (unanimous but for my recusal) took the actions it took, and stand behind them. The other incident was more difficult and more complicated, but the SC was unanimous in the handling of that incident as well. In the handling of both of these cases the SC made choices not just for the specific incident, but also to set standards, procedures and expectations for any future cases.
  • With Ewa's (and the PSF's) substantial help, we've hired a project manager to help shepherd the GitHub Issues migration (PEP 581), funded by a GitHub donation and managed by the PSF. We managed to hire an existing core developer with intimate knowledge of bugs.python.org (Ezio Melotti), which fills me with tremendous hope for the project. Of course, the ability to move back out of GitHub in the future, should the need arise, is a part of that project.


Going forward, I very much want the Steering Council to continue along these lines. Managing PEPs, drawing up long-term plans, Code of Conduct enforcement, and spending money on (and consequently acquiring funds for) core development are all crucial to the success of CPython, the SC model, and the core developer community. Even so, there are two things I wish we had managed to do better:


  • Communication with the rest of the core developer community and the larger Python community, both in keeping everyone appraised of our discussions and hearing their concerns. As five core developers, the current SC naturally kept up to date on discussions in the core developer community, but representation in other parts of the Python community wasn't as good as it could have been. I think it would be very healthy for the SC to have one or more non-core-developer members (which, in case you're wondering, is specifically allowed in PEP 13).
  • Similarly, I wish we had kept closer contact with specific projects that are closely related to CPython: other Python implementations, projects like Beeware, Jupyter, the various type checkers, IDEs, etc. It's not like we weren't in contacts with them at all, but the cancellation of PyCon 2020 as an in-person conference had a significant impact on this. We missed out on a lot of in-person contact and I wish we had managed to compensate for that with virtual meetings or email discussions. Since in-person meetings are unlikely to happen in 2021 as well, at least the in first half, I hope the next SC can improve on this.


With regards to the biggest hot potato, the Structural Pattern Matching proposal, I haven't made my own decision yet. I am excited for pattern matching, especially the way the proposal delegates matching behaviour to the types being matched. I see how this will allow libraries to provide simpler, less error-prone APIs to complex code, similar to the benefit provided by the with statement. Even so, I have serious reservations because of the incongruity of the proposal with the rest of Python. The latest iteration of the proposal alleviates some of these problems, and I believe I can now live with the unfortunately vague distinction between what is or isn't assignment in the pattern matching cases. My main concern at this point is the wildcard pattern, which is why I proposed PEP 640 -- however, even with PEP 640 I've not yet decided whether the utility of pattern matching is actually worth the not-insubstantial cost of adding the new feature. As I said, the SC will leave a recommendation for the next SC, but I believe it will be a tough decision for them, as well.


[EDIT: I've since posted a longer email with my current views on Structural Pattern Matching to the python-dev mailing list.]


I say "them", but it might be "us", as I will in fact be running again in the next SC elections. Nominations for the SC election are currently open. Nominations have to be made by core developers (they can self-nominate) -- if you're not a core developer but looking to be nominated, feel free to talk to me. I encourage everyone who wants to make an impact to consider running. It might be hard work with difficult problems, but it's well worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment